[Ads-l] Antedating of "Transvestism"

Fri Jan 28 19:06:34 UTC 2022

I think this is an English instance of "transvestism" because the book
title appears to be an English translation of a German title.

Date: January 1913
Periodical: The Journal of Mental Science
Page 119

https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uc1.b3368884
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uc1.b3368884?urlappend=%3Bseq=130%3Bownerid=9007199271937669-136

[Begin excerpt]
Transvestism or Cross-dressing [Zum Kapitel der Transvestiten]. (Arch.
f. Kriminalanth, 1912.) Näcke.

The impulse to adopt the dress and the ways of the opposite sex
without any necessary change in the direction of the sexual impulse
has been very thoroughly studied by Hirschfeld, who has termed this
condition “transvestism.” Näcke here seeks to supplement Hirschfeld's
results.
[End excerpt]