[Ads-l] "me" = "my" in NYC

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 30 16:38:25 UTC 2022

In the movie _Flying Wild_ (1941), inimitable New Yorker Leo Gorcey
(1917-1969) says, "I'll give ya the back o' me hand!"

This pronunciation "my" is stereotypically British and Irish, and I don't
think I ever heard it "live."

However, it's prominent in circa 1900 accounts of lower-class life in the
city.  E.g.,

1895 Edward W. Townsend _"Chimmie Fadden" Major Max and Other Stories_
(N.Y.: Lovell) 166: We chases down town and meets me friend de barkeep.

JL