[Ads-l] no "half-vast" coup d'=?UTF-8?Q?=C3=A9tat_?=definition

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 13 16:23:05 UTC 2022

If you listen to the Bolton interview on CNN, he really did say "half
vast." The /v/ is unmistakable.

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2022/07/12/jake-tapper-john-bolton-debate-january-6-coup-attempt-sot-lead-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/this-week-in-politics/

Here's how the Washington Post transcribed it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/07/13/john-bolton-coup/

"That’s not the way Donald Trump does things. It’s rambling from one half,
vast idea to another, one plan that falls through and another comes up --
that’s what he was doing."

This just seems to be attempted humor on Bolton's part.

--bgz