[Ads-l] no "half-vast" coup d'=?UTF-8?Q?=C3=A9tat_?=definition

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jul 13 14:36:12 UTC 2022

Presumably the Guardian would have expected Bolton to have referred to
"half-arsed" ideas, if that's what he meant. I recall an argument several
decades ago among theoretical linguists about "The vastness of natural
language"--

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3277027-the-vastness-of-natural-languages
https://dingo.sbs.arizona.edu/~langendoen/McCawleyReviewOfVastness.pdf

--to which some of us were willing to concede that natural language was
half-vast.

LH