[Ads-l] West Hell

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 17 02:31:57 UTC 2022

There's a town in Norway called Hell.  There's a train station there with HELL in big letters on it.  They have a cottage business selling postcards of the station, mostly with "I've been to Hell and back" or the like.
________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2022 9:24:13 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: West Hell

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>

_West Hell_

Kinda in ordinary use amongst the colored everywhere, not merely amongst
those in "Lousy Banana." Indeed, "up until now," I thought that its use was
universal.

On Fri, Jun 24, 2022 at 11:06 AM Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Don Lemon on CNN this morning:
>
> "As we would say growing up in Louisiana, 'There's no way in West Hell'"
> that Trump didn't believe he'd lost the election.
>
> 1931 in Z. N. Hurston _Collected Plays_ (New Brunswick, N.J.: Rutgers U.P.,
> 2008) 103: Yeah, and you stand up there and tell me that just one more
> time, and I'm going to beat you if they have a lawsuit in West Hell. Ibid.
> 219: Somebody is goin' to West Hell before midnight!
>
> 1993 _Detroit Free Press_ (Aug. 8) 7H  : Juke joints where the moonshine
> runs "as clear as spring water and as fiery as the Fourth of July in West
> Hell."
>
> 2006 John H. Eaves _Speakers of the House_ 50 (Google Books): No way in
> West Hell will I get myself into that again.
>
> JL
> --

- Wilson
-----