[Ads-l] Black American Sign Language in a Cartoon Network series

Mark Mandel markamandel at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 17 19:31:21 UTC 2022

Two articles on the same point, praising this episode of a long-running
cartoon series for its introduction and treatment of BASL. Occasional
boldface is mine.

*How an acclaimed cartoon shines a ‘crucial’ spotlight on Black American
Sign Language*

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2022-07-11/craig-of-the-creek-cartoon-network-jackie-black-asl-deaf-representation

 By Tracy Brown — Staff Writer
July 11, 2022 6 AM PT

 “Craig of the Creek” is primarily set in a wooded patch of nature where
the children of surrounding suburbs gather to play. But in its ongoing
fourth season, the Cartoon Network series has increasingly expanded its
stories beyond those boundaries with episodes that delve into the home
lives of its ever-expanding ensemble.

In “The Champion’s Hike,” premiering Monday, the title character heads to
his friend Jackie’s house before going to explore a waterfall. The scene
features Jackie, who is deaf, signing Black American Sign Language with his
dad as he heads out of the house.

It’s a moment that the episode’s consultants, from Southern California
Black Deaf Advocates, point to as a highlight of their experience on the
series.

“I teach parents [who have deaf children] how to sign, so the fact that a
Black father was signing to his son, that exposure and that emphasis was so
amazing,” said Deaf mentor Bibi Ashley through a sign language interpreter
during a recent video call. “Just seeing that interaction, that was my
favorite part.”

Alice Rash, a teacher at the California School for the Deaf, added that she
was impressed by the nuance in Jackie and his father’s exchange, like the
use of fingerspelling.

*...*

<<<<<

*And here's another article on the same point:*

*‘The Champion’s Hike’ Brings African American Sign Language to ‘Craig of
the Creek’*

https://blacknerdproblems.com/?s=Craig+of+the+creek&submit=Search

Omar Holmon - July 11, 2022

Since 2018, any time you have seen me get on this site and mention *Craig
of the Creek*, you know I’m about to tell you bout an episode where they
not only understood the assignment but handed in extra credit as well. ‘The
Champion’s Hike’ is another notch in the belt for *Craig of the Creek* as
an episode that does not miss. What I’ve always loved about *Craig of the
Creek* is the long game they play. The show focuses on character
development extremely well. ...

An interesting thing about *Craig of the Creek* is how characters are
handled when they become someone else. ... This is the first time we’re
seeing all the champions hanging out together as former champions now. We
get to explore who these characters are outside of their old roles.

*Enter Jackie formerly known as “The Arm.”*

“The Champion’s Hike” episode centers around Craig trying to fit in among
his former enemies turned friends and Maya being the one to let him know
that it’s okay to just be himself. *The other portion of this story is how
we get to see African American Sign language on screen via Jackie who is
deaf.* We see Jackie’s father communicating with him prior to the group
leaving. We also see Keun-Sup signing communicating to Jackie with ASL as
well. Not only do we get to see African American Sign Language, but this
episode gives us sign language conversation between two characters of
color. We also see Craig learning more ASL and remembering what he’s
learned prior from Keun in order to interact with Jackie. *Craig of the
Creek* really be out here thinking of everything man.

There is an artist touch used here as well where we know what is being said
of the conversation only by how Keun reacts verbally to what Jackie is
saying. We viewers who aren’t versed in ASL won’t understand what’s being
said (like the conversation between Jackie and his father) However, that’s
fine because it’s not for us.
*...*
<<<<<

Mark Mandel