[Ads-l] E. Ward Gilman obit

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Thu Jul 21 12:53:04 UTC 2022

I'm still catching up on e-mail that I had to let slide over the past month.

A friend who is still at Merriam-Webster let me know a couple of weeks
ago that the initial editor/creator of the M-W Dictionary of English
Usage, E. Ward Gilman, has died. I know that Arnold Zwicky was an
admirer of Gil's work.

Here is Gil's obit:

https://www.firtionadams.com/obituary/Eugene-Gilman

Let me just say that it is just weird seeing him styled as "Eugene W.
Gilman." In the office, he was known as Gil. As you'll see in his
various credits, he styled his name E. Ward Gilman, leading some to call
him "Ward". But no one ever used the Eugene or a form of it.

---Amy West