[Ads-l] A good walk spoiled

Pete Morris mr_peter_morris at OUTLOOK.COM
Sun Jul 24 18:12:23 UTC 2022

"Golf  ...  a good walk spoiled" - not Mark Twain.

In the podcast linked above, Fred says that the quote is not known
before 1913.  I've found a few precursors.

Caveats about google dating apply.

=========================

possibly 1901.  attributed to a "well-known jockey"

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/American_Lawn_Tennis/VCRRAQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=good+walk&dq=good+walk&printsec=frontcover

=========================

The Boss of Little Arcady,
by Harry Leon Wilson   1905

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/10358/10358-h/10358-h.htm

Again: "This new game of golf that the summer folks play seems to have
too much walking for a good game and just enough game to spoil a good
walk." Golf in the Little Country!

I'm going to guess that this is the source that popularized the phrase,
if not invented it.

=========================

possibly 1908.
https://tinyurl.com/2dub7py9

The Will of Allah by Kathlyn Rhodes

Personally I utterly deny the fascination of golf as a game ; to me it
always seems like a good walk spoilt . I simply hate having to pull up
every hundred yards and look about for a stupid little ball , and hit it
into an equally ...

=========================

possibly 1906.  The "well-known jockey" again.
https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/The_Secrets_of_Lawn_Tennis/QJcCAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=good+walk&dq=good+walk&printsec=frontcover

possibly 1911
https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/Fry_s_Magazine/59o9AQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=golf+%22a+good+walk%22&dq=golf+%22a+good+walk%22&printsec=frontcover

possibly 1912