[Ads-l] Further Antedating of "Bikini"

Sat Jul 30 02:06:25 UTC 2022

Mark Mandel wrote:
> How does this fit, if at all, with these definitions of "brimborion" (from
> https://www.wordnik.com/words/brimborion

Here is a link to a clipping of the full article. The word “designed"
is misspelled as "desigend". The article begins with the following
text:

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/106580214/brimborion-bikini/

Date: May 15, 1947
Newspaper: The Windsor Star
Newspaper location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada

[Begin excerpt]
PARIS Brimborion, according to the dictionary, means charm.

Brimborion, according to Jaques Heim, is a new sunsuit--desigend to
confound those who claimed the coverage of a French bathing suit could
not be reduced.

Heim will take $200 or so for his wisp of modesty, but you can do it
yourself. Like this:

Take a long, narrow scarf. Wrap it around the lower part of the hips
like a Turkish dancer. Make like a diaper with one end, tie at the
side. Garnish with a bra--contraction of miniscule.

Heim will not guarantee it in the water.
[End excerpt]

Garson

Continuation of Mark Mandel's email