[Ads-l] dude = 'person of any gender'

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jun 12 14:14:05 UTC 2022

It might be worth revisiting Scott Kiesling's paper "Dude" in the 2004
volume of American Speech (https://doi.org/10.1215/00031283-79-3-281), in
which he breaks down usage by sex of speaker as well as sex of
addressee/referent and discusses the distinction between vocative and
referential uses to see how usage may have changed over the last couple of
decades.

LH