[Ads-l] Word: pantser, seat-of-the-pants, seat-of-the-pantser

Tue Mar 29 19:37:53 UTC 2022

Thanks for your responses, MAM and LH.

"pants" and "depants" are a pair of words that look like antonyms but
are actually synonyms.

Green’s Dictionary of Slang has the following citation for "pants"
with the sense mentioned by LH.
https://greensdictofslang.com/entry/cpga4dq

[Begin excerpt]
pants v.
(mainly juv.) to remove someone’s trousers whether they like it or not.

1945 [US] in G. Legman Limerick (1953) 339: He’d catch something neat
/ In a Pullman retreat, / Say ‘How do you do?’ and then pants it.
[End excerpt]

Here is a citation for "depants" which I am sure can be antedated.

Year: 2005
Title: Bullying From Both Sides
Author: Walter B. Roberts, Jr.
Quote Page 85
Database: Google Books Preview

[Begin excerpt]
At some point during the delay, a decision was made to depants one of
the new team members. A ruckus ensued at the back of the bus and soon,
after quite a struggle, the deed was completed.
[End excerpt]

Garson