[Ads-l] quotes for emphasis

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 8 15:54:12 UTC 2022

Am not sure that anyone has looked into when it became common to use
quotation marks for emphasis rather than for skepticism or the like.

I've just seen a photo that seems to have been taken early last century,
perhaps before 1918, that shows a crowd behind a large sign that says:

                                               U.S. CIVIL WAR
                                                 "VETERANS"
                                          Not For Ourselves, BUT
                                            FOR OUR COUNTRY.