[Ads-l] help - origin of Poker terms

Wed Nov 9 18:29:56 UTC 2022

Here is a story from the Associated Press in May 1975. I think it is
interesting because the fourth and fifth cards are both called "flop"
instead of "turn" or "river".

Date: May 19, 1975
Newspaper: The Decatur Herald
Newspaper Location: Decatur, Illinois
Article: Poker Champion Played for One Simple Reason: Money
Author: Associated Press
Quote Page 1, Column 5
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
In "Hold 'em" poker played at the championship, each player is dealt
two cards face down. Three cards are dealt face up in the center of
the table. As betting progresses, two more cards are dealt face up.
Each such deal is called a "flop."
[End excerpt]

Garson