[Ads-l] Antedating of "Sociolinguistic"

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 21 01:51:29 UTC 2022

Nice find, Fred. The Kansas City Star item is an excerpt from Wilson
Follett's column "The State of the Language" in the Feb. 1939 issue of The
Atlantic.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1939/02/the-state-of-the-language-for-the-ear-trieth-words-as-the-mouth-tasteth-meat/654203/
(paywalled, but can be read in incognito mode)

Follett's column tackles the proper form of address for a college
professor. Here's more context:

---
If anyone can suggest a wholesome and wholesale way of coping with this
sociolinguistic problem, I trust he will confide it to me, for thus far I
have been unable to evolve any better compromise than to salute a bona fide
practising professor as 'Dear Mr. X.' and then direct the envelope to
Professor X. as a sop to identification, letting the recipient think me as
crude or careless as he may.
---

--bgz