[Ads-l] Antedating of "Sociolinguistic"

James Eric Lawson jel at NVENTURE.COM
Mon Nov 21 04:33:25 UTC 2022

1929 J. R. Kantor _An Outline of Social Psychology_ 18 In one sense
language is a body of materials and things that we may well call
institutions. Such is the condition when written, printed and spoken
language materials constitute the stimuli for learning to read, write,
and speak, in brief, to perform these actions as members of a
sociolinguistic group.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89094657889&view=1up&seq=36&q1=socio-linguistic

1933 Maurice H. Krout _Major Aspects of Personality_ 75 The influence of
any period is reduced by the fact that the importance of a situation is
inversely in proportion to the lateness of the stage at which the
situation operates. The socio-linguistic stage, however, in a real
sense, antedates the other stages .

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.b4270713&view=1up&seq=99&q1=socio-linguistic

On 11/20/22 17:51, Ben Zimmer wrote:
> Nice find, Fred. The Kansas City Star item is an excerpt from Wilson
> Follett's column "The State of the Language" in the Feb. 1939 issue of The
> Atlantic.
>
> https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1939/02/the-state-of-the-language-for-the-ear-trieth-words-as-the-mouth-tasteth-meat/654203/
> (paywalled, but can be read in incognito mode)
>
> Follett's column tackles the proper form of address for a college
> professor. Here's more context:
>
> ---
> If anyone can suggest a wholesome and wholesale way of coping with this
> sociolinguistic problem, I trust he will confide it to me, for thus far I
> have been unable to evolve any better compromise than to salute a bona fide
> practising professor as 'Dear Mr. X.' and then direct the envelope to
> Professor X. as a sop to identification, letting the recipient think me as
> crude or careless as he may.
> ---
>
> --bgz
>
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 1:34 AM Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu> wrote:
>
>> sociolinguistic (OED 1942)
>>
>> 1939 Kansas City Star 27 Feb. 16/2 (Newspapers.com)  A wholesome and
>> wholesale way of coping with this sociolinguistic problem.
>>
>> Fred Shapiro

James Eric Lawson