[Ads-l] Slight Antedating of "Make Love Not War" YBQ3

James Eric Lawson jel at NVENTURE.COM
Mon Nov 21 05:08:40 UTC 2022

Bearing in mind that you (Mr. Shapiro) mention a witness attested the
slogan in correspondence with you, from a 1963 speech by Gershon Legman
(see _Yale Book of Quotations_, 2006), here are citations for precursors
of the slogan from 1919, 1942, and 1962. The timing, during and after
major wars and in the year before Legman's 1963 speech, seems to me to
be suggestive.

1919  _Omaha World-Herald_ 13 Apr 49/1 Officers Make Love Instead of
War.... (subhead of article "Russians Loafing in Face of All Dangers").

Op. Cit. 49/3 Make Love Instead of War.

https://www.newspapers.com/image/865164314/?terms=%22make%20love%22&match=1

1942  _The Dadeville [Alabama] Record_ 27 Aug 1/1 Most of our boys, if
given their choice, would rather "make love" than make war.

https://www.newspapers.com/image/535885571/?terms=%22make%20love%20not%20war%22&match=1

1962  _The Columbia [South Carolina] Record_ 13 Dec 27(5-C)/2 "I would
much rather make love than make war," he said with a grin.

--
James Eric Lawson