[Ads-l] Slight Antedating of "Make Love Not War" YBQ3

Mon Nov 21 05:42:54 UTC 2022

Here are two precursors I found years ago with “make love, and not
make warr” and “make love instead of war”. The statements were not
really presented as slogans.

Year: 1871
Periodical: The Camden Miscellany
Volume 6
Article: The Earl of Bristol's Defence of His Negotiations in Spain
Edited by Samuel Rawson Gardiner,
Quote Page 41
Printed by J.B Nichols and Sons, Westminster for the Camden Society

http://books.google.com/books?id=xF5HAAAAYAAJ&q=%22make+love%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
THE EARL OF BRISTOL'S DEFENCE
... but the Duke answered that it was fitter to bee left to the
negotiation of ambassadors, for that they came thether, meaning the
Prince and himselfe, to woe and make love, and not to make warr; ...
[End excerpt]

Year: 1876
Book Title: Patriot and Tory: One Hundred Years Ago
Author: Julia McNair Wright
Publisher: Jones Brothers & Company, Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote Page 246
https://archive.org/stream/patriottoryonehu00wrig#page/246/mode/2up/search/loath

[Begin excerpt]
“I had not expected to meet such a bevy of beauties. Zounds! I would I
had on my best uniform: I look but a lout in these shabby clothes.
Truly, if the Colonies are full of such maidens as we have seen here,
I for one will be loath to fight with their fathers and brothers. We
had better seek peace, and make love instead of war.”
[End excerpt]

Garson