[Ads-l] earlier evidence for 'implicature', adj. and n.

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Nov 23 18:55:03 UTC 2022

True; these would all seem to conform to the general sense Grice takes as a
starting point, viz. that which is meant ("within the general signification
of a remark") without being said.  Grice's aim was to narrow and regiment
the notion, provide diagnostics for it, distinguish its subcases
("conventional" implicature vs. non-conventional and in particular
"conversational" implicature), relate implicature to the conversational
principle and general concerns of rationality, and so on.  I don't know if
he was aware of the earlier sporadic attestations of the kind you provide;
as far as I know he thought he was coining the term (as a way of evoking
without reducing to "implication").

LH