[Ads-l] booty, 1938

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 30 15:12:19 UTC 2022

Since Lomax was from Texas, I assume the word was his rather than Delmas's
in Michigan. In any case, I think he'd have put it in quotes had it been
new to him.

 I much doubt the OED's wild guess at an origin in the English nursery word
"bot" (for "bottom"). "Body" would seem just as likely or unlikely. Even
standard "booty" isn't inconceivable as an etymon.

And there's always Wolof...

JL