[Ads-l] Antedating of "Billion"

Mark Mandel markamandel at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 12 01:45:22 UTC 2022

This reminds me of a poem (a grook,* as he called them) by Piet Hein:

   Nature, it seems, is the popular name
   for milliards and milliards and milliards
   of particles playing their infinite game
   of billiards and billiards and billiards.

I bought several of his small paperbacks of grooks many years ago and know
many of them by heart.

Mark Mandel

* As I recall, a blend of *grin* "smile" and *suk* "sigh". (Pause to ask Dr
Google...) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grook says:

Some say that the name "gruk" is short for "*grin & suk*" (lit. 'laugh &
sigh'), but Piet Hein said he felt that the word had come out of thin air.

And as this brief quotation reminds me, I have never seen him referred to
by only his last name, but always as "Piet Hein" .

MAM