[Ads-l] Antedating of "Billion"

Wed Oct 12 02:14:43 UTC 2022

In my previous message I cited an 1808 book review which contained the
word “billion” with the modern U.S. sense. I just noticed that the
passage containing “billion” is a lengthy quotation from the book
under review which was published in 1806:

https://books.google.com/books?id=EHpPAQAAMAAJ&q=%22much+clearer%22#v=snippet&

Year: 1806
Title: An Elementary Course of the Sciences and Philosophy: Contained
in a Series of Lectures Delivered by the Author to His Own Pupils . .
.
Author: J. B. Florian-Jolly

Unfortunately, all the copies of this 1806 book in Google Books are in
“No Preview” mode.
The book seems to be quite rare. WorldCat only lists five universities
which have the book.

William And Mary, Williamsburg, VA
Central State University, Wilberforce, OH
University of Aberdeen Aberdeen AB24 3AA, UK
Newcastle University, Newcastle Upon Tyne NE1 7RU, UK
University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB3 9DR, UK

https://www.worldcat.org/title/614948054

Garson