[Ads-l] U-turn (1907)

Pete Morris mr_peter_morris at OUTLOOK.COM
Tue Oct 18 10:15:08 UTC 2022

Here's a cite that seems to be from 1905-7, caveats apply.

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/The_Rambler_Magazine/A-EwAQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=%22u+turn%22&dq=%22u+turn%22&printsec=frontcover

And another from possibly 1912.

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/Motorcycle_Illustrated/3OM_AQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=drive+%22u+turn%22&dq=drive+%22u+turn%22&printsec=frontcover

A note that all these cites refer to a sharp bend in the road, often
called a
hairpin bend, rather than the current sense of reversing a vehicle's
direction
in the width of a road.

While we're on the subject, what's the earliest cite for "hairpin bend"
?