[Ads-l] U-turn (1907)

Tue Oct 18 15:00:10 UTC 2022

Excellent work. Definition 1 for the noun "U-turn" in the OED combines
the two senses mentioned in this thread.

[Begin OED excerpt]
1. A U-shaped turn made by a vehicle, so as to face in the opposite
direction; (later more generally) a reversal of the direction of
travel of anything. Also: a U-shaped turn in the course of a road,
route, etc.
[End OED excerpt]

The citation for "U turn" located by Pete appeared in the May 1906
issue of "The Rambler Magazine". "U turn" occurs on page 473.
Scrolling backward reveals the cover of the May 1906 issue on page
455. Scrolling forward reveals the cover of the June 1906 cover on
page 488.

Date: May 1906
Periodical: The Rambler Magazine
Article: More Honors for the Rambler
Start Page 473, Quote Page 473, Column 1 and 2
https://books.google.com/books?id=A-EwAQAAMAAJ&q=%22U+turn%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
This bend known as the Devil's Elbow, is a full U turn with a grade of
18 per cent. After this the grade lessens somewhat, but soon runs into
an S curve with a varying grade of from 15 to 20 per cent.
[End excerpt]

Garson