[Ads-l] Preliminary Appeal for Notable Quotations of 2022

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 28 14:41:29 UTC 2022

Speaking of the Economist, what about this instant classic?

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2022/10/11/liz-truss-has-made-britain-a-riskier-bet-for-bond-investors
"Liz Truss has already secured her place in British political history.
However long she now lasts in office, she is set to be remembered as the
prime minister whose grip on power was the shortest. Ms Truss entered
Downing Street on September 6th. She blew up her own government with a
package of unfunded tax cuts and energy-price guarantees on September 23rd.
Take away the ten days of mourning after the death of Queen Elizabeth II,
and she had seven days in control. That is roughly the shelf-life of a
lettuce."