[Ads-l] Update: The medium is the message (Marshall McLuhan, May 5, 1958)

Pete Morris mr_peter_morris at OUTLOOK.COM
Fri Sep 2 02:21:56 UTC 2022

Another cite, a few days later.  Article, or maybe a transcript of a
speech by
Marshall McLuhan  contains two instances.
Proceedings of the conference on Educational Telecvision May 26-28 1958

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/Circular/KVuM_5SRES8C?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22the+medium+is+the+message%22&pg=PP26&printsec=frontcover

The 18th Century considered it had made quite a discovery when Buffon
proclaimed
that "the style is the man."  We should long ago have decided that the
medium is the message.
Let us grant for the moment that the medium is the message.

Maybe the Buffon quote should be included as a precursor.

And another cite, possibly 1957, usual caveats apply.