[Ads-l] Nothing succeeds like success

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Sep 5 01:52:02 UTC 2022

Weird. It almost seems like an entirely different proverb in French, less
of a jeu de mots, given the distinct form of the verb (réussir) and noun
(succès).  While French does have a verb "succéder", it's a semi-false
friend of "succeed" since it only has the sense of "follow" (as in 4
following 3) and not that of "prevail" or "win" and so corresponds to
"successor" rather than to "success".

LH