[Ads-l] Nothing succeeds like success

Mon Sep 5 14:34:00 UTC 2022

The related QI article about the quip attributed to Dorothy Parker is
now available:

Nothing Succeeds Like Undress
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2022/09/05/dress/

Thanks for your comments, LH.
While researching I did find a different English translation for the
French phrase. But the rendering seemed to be less accurate.

“Le Corricolo” (1843) by Alexandre Dumas contains the following passage:
https://books.google.com/books?id=ADA6AAAAcAAJ&q=++%22le+succ%C3%A8s%22#v=snippet&
[Begin excerpt]
Rien ne réussit comme le succès. Le succès est l’aimant moral qui
attire tout à lui.
[End excerpt]

The English translation of  “Le Corricolo” was titled “Sketches of
Naples” (1845). The matching passage was the following:
https://books.google.com/books?id=jzn7-fuWuaoC&q=%22as+success%22#v=snippet&
[Begin excerpt]
Nothing is so popular as success. It is the moral load-stone which
attracts every one.
[End excerpt]

The November 25, 1847 translation that I included in the QI article
appeared in “The Commercial” newspaper of Wilmington, North Carolina:
[Begin excerpt]
Nothing succeeds like success. Success is the moral loadstone that
draws everything.
[End excerpt]

Garson