[Ads-l] BIPOC goes mainstream

dave@wilton.net dave at WILTON.NET
Thu Sep 8 11:49:21 UTC 2022

I've seen and heard the label "BIPOC" before, but only in activist or academic circles. But this morning I heard it in an NPR ad for the Target department store. Pronounced / baɪpɑk /.

Here's a press release from Target from 10 May 2022 that announces the new advertising message:

"New today, Target is introducing a funding program from its in-house media company, Roundel, to increase exposure of diverse-owned brands through paid media. Designed to offset the cost of marketing programs at Target for Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) brands, the Roundel Media Fund will award more than $25 million in media to diverse-owned and founded brands by the end of 2025."

[ https://corporate.target.com/press/releases/2022/05/Target-Provides-Update-on-Commitment-to-Spend-2-Bi ]( https://corporate.target.com/press/releases/2022/05/Target-Provides-Update-on-Commitment-to-Spend-2-Bi )