[Ads-l] What fresh hell is this? possibly 1935

Pete Morris mr_peter_morris at OUTLOOK.COM
Fri Sep 16 09:27:11 UTC 2022

Anecdote attributed to Dorothy Parker.

“If the doorbell rang in her apartment, she would  say, ‘What fresh
hell can this be?’—and it wasn’t funny; she meant it."

Addressed in QI column.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/10/01/fresh/

Although the phrase itself predates her, it is the specific use in
response
to an unexpected call that is of interest.

I have found an account of a doctor receiving a patient at 3 AM using
the phrase. It  comes from Vanity Fair. Searching the document finds a
contents page dated March,1935. It certainly seems to be from the
original run of the magazine, which merged with Vogue in 1936.

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/Vanity_Fair/J4A7AQAAIAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=%22what+fresh+hell%22&dq=%22what+fresh+hell%22&printsec=frontcover

A couple of words I can't quite make out.

... three a.m. before he picked up the receiver. "What fresh hell is
this, George?"
said Dr. [Reinnard?]  to the night clerk.
"Can't tell you, doc. Old man in [here?] says he must have a doctor
right away"