[Ads-l] "the skinny" redux

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 21 01:46:21 UTC 2022

Looking forward to the "skinny" segment on your show, Grant. Here's a
(non-paywalled) link for my WSJ column from July, which I neglected to
share earlier.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/skinny-a-stripped-down-bill-or-vital-gossip-11659045369?st=eo1ps9kqxrgons0&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

Apologies to military sticklers for calling Naval Academy students "cadets"
rather than "midshipmen." I had been looking at historical sources that
called them "cadets," e.g.:

Willis Boyd Allen, _Navy Blue: A Story of Cadet Life in the United States
Naval Academy at Annapolis_ (1898)
https://books.google.com/books?id=msi4p9alSOkC&printsec=frontcover

...but I see now that usage was phased out at Annapolis in the early 20th
century.

--Ben