[Ads-l] Gitmo (1945)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 23 15:06:26 UTC 2022

Great sleuthing, Ben, and thanks for the plug!

Not that it's very meaningful at this point, but from deep in the recesses
of memory, I suddenly recall that Oscar Brand released an album around
1960  that included a whole song about Guantanamo Bay. I used to memorize
such stuff (including TV western theme songs) and IIRC, Brand's song -
which he wrote he'd learned from a Guantanamo veteran - began,

At Guantanamo Bay, call it Gitmo for short,
Not much of a base and much less of a port....

The tune was "The Irish Washerwoman."

JL