[Ads-l] Preliminary Appeal for Notable Quotations of 2022

Bill Mullins amcombill at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 27 14:26:14 UTC 2022

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU<mailto:ads-l%40listserv.linguistlist.org?Subject=Re%3A%20%5BAds-l%5D%20Preliminary%20Appeal%20for%20Notable%20Quotations%20of%202022&In-Reply-To=%3CSA1PR08MB76805375C429B3FD04607B8AF4519%40SA1PR08MB7680.namprd08.prod.outlook.com%3E>
Fri Sep 23 14:23:40 UTC 2022

> Although it's only September, I am sending out a preliminary appeal for

> suggestions of candidates for my annual list of the 10 most notable quotations

> of the year, disseminated by the Associated Press.  The criteria are

> quotations that are famous, or important, or particularly revealing of the

> spirit of our times.  Invariably many of the quotes are political in nature,

> but I do very much want some nonpolitical quotes from fields such as popular

> culture, sports, business, science, etc.  I also would like to have some foolish

> quotes from Democratic politicians to give the list some balance.

> Note that quotations from December 2021 may be eligible.  Internet memes can

> be considered if they are very popular.

> Fred Shapiro

Anonymous Ukraine soldier, 24 Feb 2022:   "Russian warship, go f--k yourself" (Russian: 'Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй'" during the initial battle for Snake Island in the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Joe Biden, 18 Sep 2022 on "Sixty Minutes"  "We're still doing a lot of work on it. But the pandemic is over."

Joe Biden, 25 July 2022 ""We're not going to be in a recession."

Justice Samuel Alito, 24 June 2022 "We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled."