[Ads-l] Preliminary Appeal for Notable Quotations of 2022

Tue Sep 27 16:26:27 UTC 2022

In the domain of art and technology I think the biggest story in 2022
is the availability of new AI systems for generating art, e.g., DALL-E
2, Imagen, Parti, Midjourney. It might be desirable to include a
quotation about this topic.

Article: OpenAI's DALL-E 2: A dream tool and existential threat to
visual artists
Author:  Loz Blain
Date: July 29, 2022

The following headline is an interesting quotation.

[Begin excerpt]
The greatest artistic tool ever built, or a harbinger of doom for
entire creative industries?
[End excerpt]

Website: New York Times
Article: An A.I.-Generated Picture Won an Art Prize. Artists Aren’t Happy
Author: Kevin Roose
Date: Sept. 2, 2022
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/02/technology/ai-artificial-intelligence-artists.html

Below is a remark by Jason M. Allen when he won an award at the
Colorado State Fair’s annual art competition after submitting an image
generated by the artificial intelligence system Midjourney

[Begin excerpt]
“I’m not going to apologize for it,” he said. “I won, and I didn’t
break any rules.”
[End excerpt]

Reaction on twitter to the award given to the person who submitted an
AI generated image. Part of this tweet was cited in the New York Times
article Sept. 2, 2022.

Twitter handle: OmniMorpho @OmniMorpho
Timestamp: 9:11 PM · Aug 30, 2022
https://twitter.com/OmniMorpho/status/1564782875072872450

[Begin tweet]
We’re watching the death of artistry unfold right before our eyes — if
creative jobs aren’t safe from machines, then even high-skilled jobs
are in danger of becoming obsolete
What will we have then?
[End tweet]

It would be great to find a quotation from a well-known artist saying
something memorable on this topic.

Garson