[Ads-l] Perfectorify was Re: Slight antedating of "uppity" (1878)

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Mon Apr 10 11:52:11 UTC 2023

On 4/9/23 00:00, ADS-L automatic digest system wrote:
> Mr. Arp is jest a little too upity for his raisin. He's gettin purnickity
> cause away from home everybody thinks he's perfechun perfectorified, but
> they am mighty mistaken about that.
>
> [From "Mrs. Arp," who writes a letter to the Editors of the Constitution,
> "Among the Arps; The Madame Pays Her Respect to 'that Husband of Hers,'"
> The Daily Constitution (Atlanta), 29 April 1879, p. 2.]

I do believe that "perfectorify" is now my next favorite -ify verb after
_speechify_. I think I might drop the -or-: It seems a bit much, but I
do recognize it may shift the meaning.

---Amy West