[Ads-l] mysterious antedatings of "foo fighter"

Thu Apr 13 13:50:15 UTC 2023

Date: December 1, 1938,
Section: The Rustler
Article: Have You Got the Foo Craze?
Author: S.H.
Quote Page 5, Column 4
Database: Newspapers.com

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/122788433/foo-craze/

[Begin excerpt - check for errors]
HAVE YOU GOT THE FOO CRAZE?

The Foo craze hasn't seemed to hit this community as hard as others
I've seen. Never have I forgotten and never will I forget one town in
particular. It was about one thousand population and not one person
had escaped the Foo mania. All letters were addressed to people with
at least five Foo's in between the words. There were Foo clubs and Foo
stores, in fact somebody suggested naming the town Foo.

Now, what is Foo? Foo, to the best of my knowledge, was originated by
Bill Holman, an artist that draws a comic strip entitled "Smokey
Stover." It was hard to get the word started on its way to popularity,
but once it caught it spread like wild fire. In fact it became so
popular that Mr. Holman had to give it some brothers and sisters.
Hence came Goo and Sloosh and many other just as crazy phrases.

Foo has no particular meaning but is used by Mr. Holman as a
substitute for many a crazy wise-crack. For example, he will take a
well known saying such as "Give me liberty or give me death," and
change it to "Give me Foo or give me Goo." "What the best dressed Foo
will wear," is another example.

Now, you ought to have a fairly clear idea as to how Foo started, what
it is and how it has progressed. At this point we'll go back to the
first and main question, "Have you got the Foo craze? If you haven't,
don't get it. If you have--well, nobody is perfect.
S.H.
[End excerpt]