[Ads-l] Euphemism of the Year candidate

Thu Apr 20 19:46:24 UTC 2023

Here is another example from the family of euphemisms using the word
"disassembly" for "explosion". In 1969 "machine disassembly" was used
for a "reactor explosion" in the nuclear power domain.

Date: March 10, 1969
Newspaper: New York Times
Newspaper Location: New York, New York
Article: Books of The Times - The Invisible Menace
Author: John Leonard
Note: Book review of "The Careless Atom" by Sheldon Novick
Quote Page 43, Column 2
Database: ProQuest

[Begin excerpt]
"The Careless Atom" explores the nature of the public's risk, both
from reactor explosion (referred to euphemistically as "machine
disassembly") and radioactive pollution of the environment.
[End excerpt]

Garson