[Ads-l] Euphemism of the Year candidate

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Fri Apr 21 13:54:16 UTC 2023

On 4/21/23 00:00, ADS-L automatic digest system wrote:
> Date:    Thu, 20 Apr 2023 14:49:31 -0400
> From:    Laurence Horn<laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
> Subject: Re: Euphemism of the Year candidate
>
> Oops, I obviously have been leading a sheltered life (thanks to my
> trusty rapid unscheduled disassembly before stage separation shield).
> Thanks for the clarification, Garson.
>
> There's nothing worse than an unenergetic, dare I say lackadaisical,
> disassembly.
>
> LH

I had the exact same thought re: nominating it. So, consider the
nomination seconded. I think this meets the "newly relevant" criteria.

What may be the important bit is that this is a self-destruction. What
Garson turned up was not applied to tragedies like the Challenger and
Columbia explosions, for example. With Starship my understanding is that
some engines failed, it tumbled, and they blew it up to prevent it from
becoming a large projectile headed earthward.

My dad was a rocket scientist when I was born and I've followed rocketry
and the space program casually ever since childhood and haven't heard
this phrase before. But that and $8 will get you a grande at Starschmucks.

---Amy West