[Ads-l] NYC English a prefixing.

Stanton McCandlish smccandlish at GMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 19 23:04:53 UTC 2023

A classic example is "Froggy Went a-Courtin'".  As I understand it, this
*a[-]* prefix is a hold-over from a particle that English used to have in
Middle English and earlier (and which survived later in some rural
dialects) that is cognate with *ge-* in German, though I'm basing that on
something I read 30 years ago. If I recall correctly, at the beginning of
OED's "I" section there are a bunch of recorded (mostly old and dialectal)
words that use *i-* instead of *a-* in the same manner and from the same
etymological source.