[Ads-l] NYC English a prefixing.

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 20 04:30:03 UTC 2023

OED covers "an eeling" in the entry for "a" prep1, II.11.b. ("After a verb
denoting or implying motion and before a verbal noun: to, into (some
action))."

---
1780 _Narragansett Historical Register_ (1882) October 104
Went an eeling.
---

The OED notes that the "an" form appeared in the 18th century "before a
vowel or h-." Here's an example of "an" before "h-":

---
1759 J. Newton, Diary 23 February in _Deserted Village_ (1992) 12
Went an House hunting.
---

--bgz