[Ads-l] Nimrod?

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 13 17:39:32 UTC 2023

I have a feeling we've been through this before, it appears it was actually
Daffy
According to IMDb, Elmer does get called "my little Nimrod"...

...by Daffy, in the 1948 short "What Makes Daffy Duck".

Elmer Fudd: How am I ever going to catch that scwewy duck?

Daffy Duck: Precisely what I was thinking, my little Nimrod.
https://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/81453/in-which-cartoon-if-any-did-bugs-bunny-use-the-term-nimrod

Found it! From a previous exchange
https://www.wordorigins.org/big-list-entries/nimrod?rq=nimrod

Which has the Washington Irving text from 1835:
 A Tour on the Prairies:
I have observed that the wary and experienced huntsman and traveller of the
prairies is always sparing of his horse, when on a journey; never, except
in emergency, putting him off a walk. [...] With us, however, many of the
party were young and inexperienced, and full of excitement at finding
themselves in a country abounding with game. It was impossible to retain
them in the sobriety of a march, or to keep them to the line. As we broke
our way through the coverts and ravines, and the deer started up and
scampered off to the right and left, the rifle-balls would whiz after them,
and our young Nimrods dash off in pursuit.

On Wed, Dec 13, 2023 at 9:44 AM Nancy Friedman <wordworking at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Blame Bugs Bunny.
>

> https://unrememberedhistory.com/2017/01/09/the-nimrod-effect-how-a-cartoon-bunny-changed-the-meaning-of-a-word-forever/
>
> Nancy Friedman
> Chief Wordworker
> https://wordworking.com
> https://fritinancy.substack.com
>
> tel 510 652-4159
> cel 510 304-3953
> twitter/mastodon/instagram/bluesky/Threads @Fritinancy
>
> On Wed, Dec 13, 2023, 7:41 AM James Landau <
> 00000c13e57d49b8-dmarc-request at listserv.uga.edu> wrote:
>

> http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/12/11/2211098/-Newsmax-Tells-Slack-Jawed-GOP-Chair-that-He-and-His-Biden-Probe-Looked-Like-a-Joke-on-CNN?detail=emaildkre&pm_source=DKRE&pm_medium=email
> >
> >  <quote> Comer scampered off to Newsmax where he expected to get a much
> > more friendly reception. And in point of fact, he did. However, Comer is
> > such a nimrod that he botched the softballs lobbed at him. <end quote>
> >  Nimrod, in the book of Genesis, was "a mighty hunter" and lower-case
> > "nimrod" means a hunter.  I can't think of what word the Daily Kos writer
> > was trying to think of when he came up with "nimrod".
> >
> > James Landau
> > jjjrlandau at netscape.com

Andy Bach,
afbach at gmail.com