[Ads-l] Antedating of "Geronimo"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 2 18:35:37 UTC 2023

I think I'm the first educator/ lexicographer to seek out _Geronimo!_
(1939) [note exclamation point] to gain insight into the adoption of the
Apache chief's name as the war cry of the 501st Parachute Battalion. Just
by the way, it may be the only film in Hollywood history in which Andy
Devine turns out tbe the real hero.

In any case, I was hoping I'd see somebody jump off a cliff, if not out of
an airplane, shouting "Geronimo!"  Just as good would be 2,000 mounted
Apache warriors yelling "Geronimo!" in unison as they attack the seemingly
helpless patrol of 16 cavalrymen. (The official numbers mentioned in the
script: guess who wins?)

But no. The only actual shouting of "Geronimo!" comes at the start when an
anonymous horseman gallops into a settlement and cries "Geronimo!" to warn
that the Apache is again on the warpath.

Since Fred's source reports that "Geronimo, Geromimo" was being shouted all
over the 501st's area at Ft. Benning "a thousand times a day," it may not
have been specifically jump-related at all. It may have started simply as
an encouragement to any kind of urgent action.

JL