[Ads-l] Antedating of "Geronimo"

James Eric Lawson jel at NVENTURE.COM
Mon Jan 2 20:57:52 UTC 2023

As for other US idioms, OEDO has failed us on "Geronimo!" The rumored
yell was rumored well in advance of the 501st's adoption and the 1939
movie, although the 1939 clip following may partly explain the 501st's
adoption:

1901  _The Intelligencer_ (Anderson, South Carolina) 30 Jan 7/3 "What a
death to die!" said Sieve to the major, and In reply, while Mike Grimes
and Steve stood with uncovered heads, the major lifted his face to the
stars and uttered Geronimo's yell.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/115659442/geronimo/

1927  _Arizona Republic_ (Phoenix) 23 Apr 4/3 At the conclusion of her
talk, Mrs. Greenway was greeted with the Camp Geronimo yell of the Scouts.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/115659946/geronimo/

1939  _Star Tribune_ (Minneapolis, Minnesota) 17 Dec 47/8 "Geronimo!"
she yelled.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/115660275/geronimo/

--
James Eric Lawson