[Ads-l] 'jarhead' (a soldier) antedatings

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 16 16:27:20 UTC 2023

Nice finds. The 1930 is interesting, but it seems just to mean
"blockhead" - esp. since it's in an ad, not the main text.

If it means "marine," there should be other exx. in _Leatherneck_
through the 1930s. I don't see any. The Army team is frequently called
"Jarheads." (The Marine team is the 'Devil Dogs.')

 JL