[Ads-l] Antedating "mammoth" (big) - 1801 (was "big cheese" 1815)

Thu Jun 1 18:27:20 UTC 2023

Ben Zimmer initiated an interesting thread about the adjective mammoth
back in January 2015.
https://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2015-January/135763.html

President Thomas Jefferson was called a "Mammoth of Democracy" and
“(the) Mammoth”.
The phrases "Mammoth Pye", "Mammoth Apple Pye", "Mammoth appetite"
were mentioned on the thread. Ben Zimmer, Geoffrey Steven Nathan, and
I participated in the thread, but I do not remember it.

Garson