[Ads-l] Antedating "stump speech"

Thu Jun 1 20:46:43 UTC 2023

Intriguing top and excellent citations, Steven.
Here are two citations in 1810.

Date: August 1, 1810
Newspaper: The Georgia Journal
Newspaper Location: Milledgeville, Georgia
Article: Political
Note: "The following Essay, copied from the last Argus, is an answer
to  Phocian, which appeared in a former  number of this paper",
Quote Page 1, Column 3
Database: GenealogyBank

[Begin excerpt]
And I would urge him, should he again attempt stump speeches, to avoid
addressing the people as "gentlemen of the jury" to shew himself a
Lawyer, and assure him that the "merits of his case," if not otherwise
stated, will before the election be laid before the public by a
citizen of BALDWIN.
[End excerpt]