[Ads-l] Fw: "Tossed aside lightly/thrown with great force"

Sat Jun 3 19:35:05 UTC 2023

Back on May 7, 2023 Bill Mullins announced his magnificent discovery
of a match for the saying in the subject line within the 1929 book "To
You I Tell It". This match finally solves the mystery of the origin of
the famous book review quip "Not a book to be lightly thrown aside.
Should be thrown with great force." This barb has been misattributed
to Dorothy Parker for decades.

The Quote Investigator article on this topic has now been updated, and
Bill is acknowledged together with Sam Clements and Bonnie
Taylor-Blake. The updated article should be visible now or within 24
hours.

Quote Origin: Not a Book To Be Lightly Thrown Aside. Should Be Thrown
with Great Force
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/03/26/great-force/

[Begin acknowledgement]
Many thanks to Bill Mullins who deserves credit for solving this
long-standing mystery by locating the crucial citation in the 1929
book “To You I Tell It” by Bill Miller. Mullins also located the
December 1929 book review by Frank MacDonell which unequivocally
indicated that Bill Miller created the quip. Special thanks to Sam
Clements and Bonnie Taylor-Blake who explored this saying and found
the important citation in the Oakland Tribune on April 4, 1960 along
with the citation to Cerf’s column. Thanks also to the participants in
discussions about this quotation at the Snopes website and the
Straight Dope website which took place in years past. Thanks to
writersalmanac.org which posted an article that included the Parker
quotation in the 1928 citation.
[End acknowledgement]

Garson