[Ads-l] Motto: Speed Quality Price. Pick any Two [A derivative saying]

Sun Jun 4 05:25:53 UTC 2023

It is an ancient problem of theodicy, but the formulation, phrasing,
and vocabulary have changed over time.

Here is a close match to the formulation presented by Mark. This
citation uses the three terms omnipotent, omniscient, and
omnibenevolent together with the phrase "only two at most are true".
The match occurs in the introduction to a book that translates some
writings of St. Augustine.

Year: 2020
Book: On Order: St. Augustine's Cassiciacum Dialogues, Volume 3
Translation, Annotation and Commentary: Michael P. Foley
Section: Introduction
Quote Page 5
Database: Google Books Preview

[Begin excerpt]
But when an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent God exists, as
the Christian Gospels proclaim, there would seem to emerge what
logicians call an inconsistent triad, where of three propositions,
only two at most are true. For if God is omnibenevolent, then it would
seem that He is not omnipotent, since evil exists despite His goodwill
toward humanity. And if God is omnipotent, then it would seem that He
is not omnibenevolent in allowing evil to exist.
[End excerpt]

This 2019 book claims that the problem was explored by Epicurus.

Year: 2019
Book: Student Guide: Pearson Edexcel AS/A-Level: Religious Studies
Authors: Amanda Forshaw, ‎Cressida Tweed
Database: Google Books Preview

[Begin excerpt]
The logical problem of evil focuses on the inconsistent triad first
put forward by the pre-Christian Greek thinker Epicurus (341–270 BCE).
It is based on the fact that the God of classical theism is held to be
omnipotent, omnibenevolent and omniscient.
[End excerpt]

A logician used the topic as an example in a textbook.

Year: 1984
Book: Introductory Logic
Author: Robert J. Levy
Quote Page GB 77
Database: Google Books snippet (must be verified with scans or hardcopy)

[Begin excerpt]
If God is omniscient, omnipotent, and entirely good, there is no
natural evil. But there is natural evil. Therefore, God is not both