[Ads-l] Personal pronouns modified with relative clauses

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Tue Jun 6 16:12:22 UTC 2023

I think that it is just that Trump was using the first person with a relative clause, and that always seems a bit off.  Think of JL’s example:  “me, who is your friend” and “me, who am your friend” both sound awkward to me, perhaps just because this construction is less common.  If you convert Trump’s statement to the third person, it sounds fine:  “How can DOJ possibly charge him, who did nothing wrong, when no other president's were charged?”  (Well, the use of the relative clause sounds fine; the sentence has other issues.)

John Baker

From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> On Behalf Of Laurence Horn
Sent: Tuesday, June 6, 2023 10:39 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Personal pronouns modified with relative clauses

External Email - Think Before You Click

Waxing religious again, we have--depending on the translation--

“He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.”
"Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.
(John 8:7)

And on a more mundane note, there's always "He who hesitates is lost".

But these (well, not the one from the Lord's Prayer) are all *restrictive*
relative clauses, while Trump's ("me, who did nothing wrong") was a
non-restrictive (appositive) relative. Is that why it might seem odd?

LH