[Ads-l] Personal pronouns modified with relative clauses

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 7 01:26:31 UTC 2023

I found this claim on Japanese pronouns vs English clauses at https://linguistics.stackexchange.com/questions/1424/what-languages-lack-personal-pronouns-and-why. Unfortunately it doesn’t provide any examples and I now need a nap.

FWIW, it also notes that Japanese pronouns can be modified by adjectives, which is not possible in my dialect of English:

* Smart she/her got a degree in computer science.
* Quick they tied in the marathon.

I suspect there are dialects or people who do use such forms.

Even so, I think this works, at least to a degree, in an appositive:

Smart her, she got a degree in computer science.
? Quick them, they tied in the marathon.

Benjamin Barrett (he/him/his)
Formerly of Seattle, WA