[Ads-l] to "pull a fast one"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jun 7 19:15:27 UTC 2023

The odd thing about “pull a fast one (on somebody)” with the meaning ‘perform an underhanded trick’ is that that’s the functional opposite of throwing a literal fast ball, which is precisely what conforms to the batter’s expectation.  It’s throwing a change-up (or a curve ball, which is indeed used in that figurative sense*) that amounts to pulling a metaphorical fast one.  Wonder how “pull a fast one” developed its counter-expectational meaning. Maybe it’s not the actual speed of the fast ball but that the pitcher threw it before the batter was set, i.e. a "quick pitch" rather than a fast ball per se.  I can imagine “to quick-pitch” being used in this sense, although I’m not sure I’ve heard it used metaphorically in this way.

*OED, s.v. “curve ball”:
 2.  figurative. Originally U.S. Something whose unexpectedness or unpredictable nature enables one to disorient or wrong-foot one's opponents; (more generally) something unexpected, surprising, or disorienting. Often in  to throw (someone) a curveball.

LH